Hey loves! Good to see you again,
If you read my post on Instagram changes and algorithms, you’ll know that neither of them were making me very happy, in fact they were both driving me nuts so I decided to take a break; my first one in years. Not sure why I didn’t do it sooner … actually I do, I was having fun and didn’t feel the need, but sheesh lately social media was starting to feel like a chore and logging out felt like a much needed holiday!
Stepping away for a few weeks gave me the space to rethink my approach and how I wanted to use it again. I knew I didn’t want to ditch it completely but I also wanted it to work better for me. I wanted to regain control of my online ‘social life’ in a way that made me smile again. I needed a way to bring back the feel good factor.
I’ve also become increasingly aware of the way it’s making others feel too, there have been several reports in the media recently about it’s effect on young people’s mental health and well being and from the conversations I’m having with my followers I actually think it’s effecting people of all ages. The power of social media messing with your mood is serious stuff and can be challenging for all of us no matter how confident and together people may seem when posting their lastest tweet or social status.
So I decided to come up with a nice little plan to combat some of those negative feelings. If you’re ever feeling overwhelmed with the online world, give it a try and use it as a way to ease the angst and to bring back some of the joy.
- LOG OUT – It seems obvious but when was the last time you did it?… seriously, switch that app right off, set yourself a time limit and don’t be tempted to check in before it’s up. Regular breaks are good for you and your soul and you’ll feel a whole lot stronger when you do eventually log back in. And if you don’t feel ready, extend that vacation!
- BE CREATIVE – Do something lovely with your new found free time, you’ll suddenly have loads of it, create that thing you’ve been wanting to do for ages, go outside, make stuff, watch a movie, hug your family or learn a new craft and indulge yourself instead of following what others are getting up to!
- GET INVOLVED – Guilty of creeping around not talking to anybody?.. well where’s the fun in that? how about actually getting social and helping to create a community you love, leave a comment, say hello and make some new friends, you might actually enjoy yourself and if you don’t see number 4!
- UNFOLLOW – If something or someone is making you feel inadequate or like a failure, then hit that unfollow button my friend, life is way too short to be keeping the company of people who make you feel like poop! Stop torturing yourself and start surrounding yourself with people who lift your spirits and inspire your creativity instead.
- CARE LESS – Not in a mean and nasty way but in a ‘I’m gonna post and share what the hell I like when I like kinda way’ purely because I want to – no curating, no pressure, just doing my own thing, absolutely zero f**ks given. Because quite frankly trying to fit in is boring and spoils all the fun. And sharing what comes naturally is real life innit.
So there we have it, five simple steps that could change your online experience for the better. Let me know if you try any of these and how you get on and and don’t forget to check out my feed to see how the insta community are doing things and getting social, we discussed all of the above and more in my insta chat on Monday and there’s a whole lot of comfort to be had in knowing you’re not alone.
See ya soon fam, stay strong and gorgeous!